Section 609 Technician Training and Certification Programs
All persons repairing or servicing motor vehicle air-conditioning (MVAC) systems for consideration must be properly trained and certified by a program authorized by EPA.
Section 609 Technician Training and Certification (TT&C) programs must
provide adequate training on the service and repair of MVACs and
MVAC–like appliances, refrigerant containment, refrigerant handling
equipment, refrigerant purity, environmental consequences of refrigerant
release, and adverse effects on stratospheric ozone layer depletion as well
as anticipated future technology developments in the MVAC sector.
Recently EPA required all Section 609 TT&C organizations to update program material to reflect the latest developments in MVAC technology and service. The following is a list of currently authorized Section 609 TT&C programs that meet EPA’s standard. Please contact programs directly for information on specific training and test locations and options.
Section 609 covers technician certification in the motor vehicle sector only. Note, that while certification is required in order to service motor vehicle air-conditioners, certification is not required to purchase R-134a.
- AM General Corporation
- 13200 McKinley Highway
Mishawaka, IN 46545
- ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence)
- 101 Blue Seal Drive SE
Leesburg, VA 20175
(703) 669-6600, 1-866-427-3273
- E F Technical Institute, Inc.
- 8200 Springwood Drive
Irving, TX 75063
- ESCO Institute
- 1350 West Northwest Highway
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
- Ferris State University (FSU)
- 1020 Maple St.
- Big Rapids, MI 49307-1676
- The Greater Cleveland Automobile Dealers' Association
- 10100 Brecksville Rd.
Brecksville, OH 44141
(440) 746-1500 or (888) 740-2886
- International Mobile Air Conditioning Association
- Status: Closed, effective 11/05.
The Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) Worldwide maintains IMACA's technician certification records.
- Mainstream Engineering Corporation
- 200 Yellow Place
Rockledge, FL 32955
(321) 631-3550, (800) 866-3550
- Metro Atlanta Auto Dealers Association
- 440 Interstate North Pkwy SE
Atlanta, GA 30339
- Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) Worldwide
- P.O. Box 88
Lansdale, PA 19446
fax: (215) 631-7017
- New York State Association of Service Stations and Repair Shops, Inc.
- Automotive Technician Training Program
6 Walker Way
Albany, NY 12205
fax: (518) 452-1955
- The Refrigeration School, Inc.
- 4210 East Washington, Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034-1894
- Texas Engineering Extension Service
- San Antonio Training Division
The Texas A&M University System
9350 South Presa
San Antonio, TX 78223-4799
- Universal Technical Institute
- 16220 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 100
- Scottsdale, Arizona 85254
- Wyoming Technical Institute
- 4373 North 3rd Street
Laramie, WY 82072
Phone: (307) 755-2288
- Fax: (307) 721-4854
Note to refrigerant retailers:
Geneva Steel, Marine Safety Consultants/Tidewater School of Navigation, Mechanic's Education Association, Minnesota Department of Transportation, New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, Pennsylvania College of Technology, Penske Auto Centers (formerly K-Mart), Rancho Santiago College, Refrigerant Certification Services, Ryder Trucks, Snap-On, Vatterott College, and Waco Chemicals, Inc. formerly offered Section 609 TT&C programs. Retailers should continue to accept Section 609 TT&C cards from these organizations.
Programs Intended Specifically for Their Own Employees
- Jiffy Lube International
- P.O. Box 2967
Houston, TX 77252-2967
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- One Gateway Plaza
Mail Stop: 30-2-3
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2952
- Department of Defense
- Department of the Army
U.S. Army Ordnance Mechanical Maintenance School
Tactical Support Equipment Department
ATTN: Section 609 TT&C Program
Building 18041, Room 1074
126 Edgewood Road
Fort Lee, VA 23801
(804) 765-9188 (fax)
- Department of Defense
- United States Marine Corps
Motor Transport Maintenance Instructional Company
Attn: Mobile Air Conditioning Section
Building M107, Room 34
Marine Corps Combat Service Support Schools
PSC BOX 20041
Camp Lejeune, NC 28542-0041
- Whayne Supply Company
- P.O. Box 35900
Louisville, KY 40323-5900