The SunWise Tool Kit is a collection of cross-curricular classroom lessons and background information for teaching the SunWise Program. Distributed free to registered schools, the Tool Kit contains a variety of fun, developmentally appropriate activities that combine education about sun protection and the environment with other aspects of learning.
The Kit includes activities focusing on:
- The science behind UV radiation and stratospheric ozone;
- The health risks from overexposure to UV radiation; and
- The steps you can take to protect yourself.
The Kit contains classroom activities for K-2, 3-5, and 6-8 grade levels. In keeping with the intent of making these lessons hands-on and fun, the Kit also includes a UV-sensitive frisbee and a comic book, On the Trail of the Missing Ozone, which reinforce the sun safety lessons. Finally, to reward your students for their participation in the SunWise Program, we provide an easily photocopied Certificate of SunWisdom.
- K-2 Sample Activity: Speedy Sun Relay Race (PDF) (5 pp, 711K, About PDF)
- 3-5 Sample Activity: Measure Your Shadow (PDF) (5 pp, 570K, About PDF)
- 6-8 Sample Activity: SunWise Surveyor (PDF) (4 pp, 444K, About PDF)
The Tool Kit contains an additional section targeting school policy, which gives guidance on how to institute sun safety changes outside the classroom. The Tool Kit is also available in Spanish.
To register for the SunWise Program, please visit our Becoming a SunWise School page.