Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Superfund


? ?

40,000th Superfund Final Assessment Decision Reached

In April 2008, EPA completed the 40,000th Final Assessment Decision (FAD) under the federal Superfund Program. A FAD indicates the completion of all Superfund remedial assessment work at a site; it is one of the key measures tracked by EPA under the Government Performance for Results Act (GPRA). Evaluating new sites in order to identify sites that pose a risk to human health or the environment is one of the ways that EPA?s superfund program protects the country from the threats posed by hazardous waste.

As of August 2008, the universe of sites eligible for FAD decisions stood at about 44,000. The universe of eligible sites also grows by about 200 sites per year. EPA and its partners complete around 400 FADs per year. Approximately 84 percent of the 40,000 sites with a FAD indicate no cleanup work is necessary under Superfund. The remaining 16 percent indicate cleanup attention is needed under Superfund or other federal, state, or tibal environmental cleanup program. For a more detailed description of FADs, see section A.A.4. GPRA and Site Assessment on page A-2 in Appendix A (PDF) (40 pp, 488K, About PDF).

Superfund Help: Acronyms | Topics | Frequent Questions | Publications | Sitemap

OSWER Home | Superfund Home | Innovative Technologies Home