Guidance Documents, Fact Sheets and Policies
Presented below are the EPA guidance documents, fact sheets and policies relating to contaminated sediments at Superfund sites.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Passive Sampling
This Tier 1 Tracking list is intended to be a resource for contaminated sediment RPM's, headquarters and regional technical staff, and others supporting the remedy decision making process at these sites. The list tracks the Tier 1 sites that have signed a decision document (ROD or Action Memo) and documents the remedy selected, the estimated and actual costs of the remedy, the contaminants of concern and the associated contaminated media, the Action Levels, the Clean-up Levels (CUL), the Remediation Goals (RG), and the Sediment Remedial Action Objectives (RAO). For those sites where the remedy has been implemented and a Five-year Review (FYR) has been completed, the list also documents whether monitoring was conducted for the FYR, data was presented in the report, and the CULs, RGs, and RAOs were met.
This version of the Tier 1 Tracking List is lacking some information previously contained in it due to technical difficult with linking directly to the cited references. We apologize for the inconvenience. When the Internet upgrade is complete, a fully cited version will be published. Until then, any questions regarding this Tier 1 Tracking List can be directed to Matt Lambert, EPA Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the interim, relevant Five Year Reviews and decision documents can be searched online here.
(3 pp, 1.04MB)
(251 pp, 335KB)
(23 pp, 3.18MB)
(61 pp, 604KB)
(36 pp, 1.8M)
(4 pp, 952K)
(14 pp, 391K)
(25 pp, 4.2MB)
(5 pp, 34K)
(3 pp, 116K)
(11 pp, 70K)
(9 pp, 1MB)
Other Relevant Documents Relating to Contaminated Sediment Sites
The documents or links to documents below are not necessarily Superfund or sediment specific, but they may be useful to the Remedial Project Manager working on a contaminated sediment site.
- Technical Guidelines on Performing a Sediment Erosion and Deposition Assessment (SEDA) at Superfund Sites, September 2014 (PDF)
(183 pp, 8.73MB)
- Interactive Sediment Remedy Assessment Portal: online tool to aid RPMs to develop monitoring programs at Superfund contaminated sediment sites.
- Sediment Treatment Report ERDC, March 2011 (PDF)
(286 pp, 14.6MB)
- Technical Guide: Monitored Natural Recovery at Contaminated Sediment Sites, ESTCP Project ER-0622, May 2009 (PDF)
(276 pp, 5MB)
- Technical Guidelines for Environmental Dredging of Contaminated Sediments (PDF)
(302 pp, 5MB)
- Rapid Sediment Characterization Tools, 2008 (PDF)
(41 pp, 976K)
- User's Guide for Assessing Sediment Transport at navy Facilities, 2007 (PDF)
- The Four Rs of Environmental Dredging: Resuspension, Release, Residual, and Risk (PDF)
(64 pp, 634K)
- Sediment Dredging at Superfund Megasites - Assessing the Effectiveness (PDF)
(316 pp, 9.8MB)
- MOU Between EPA, Army Corps of Engineers, and Navy for Collaboration on Contaminated
Sediments Research (2007) (PDF)
(4 pp, 674K)
- Guidance for Assessing Chemical Contaminant Data for Use in Fish Advisories
Implementation Guide for Assessing and Managing Contaminated Sediment at Navy Facilities (March 2003) (PDF)
(153 pp, 2.2MB)
- Guidance Manuals to Support the Assessment of Contaminated Sediments in Freshwater Ecosystems (2002)
- U.S. EPA Office of Water: Methods for Collection, Storage and Manipulation of Sediments for Chemical and Toxicological Analyses: Technical Manual (2002)
- U.S. EPA Office of Water: Methods for Sampling and Analyzing Contaminants in Fish and Shellfish Tissue (2000)
- Ecological Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund (1997)
- Additional Tools for Ecological Risk Assessment
- Contaminated Sediment Management Strategy (1998)