Compost Use on State Highway Applications
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPAs PDF page to learn more.
Funded by EPA, the Composting Council Research and Education Foundation (CCREF), in conjunction with the United States Composting Council (USCC) developed this document to promote compost use on state and local roadside applications. Its goal is to provide individuals and organizations roads and highways staff, policy makers, product specifiers, project designers and engineers, environmental officers, landscapers, and other interested parties involved in the maintenance and management of roadsides and highways, with the tools necessary to use composted products to meet their specific project requirements.
- Introduction, Table of Contents (PDF) (4 pp, 1.6MB)
- Benefits to Compost Use on Roadside Applications (PDF) (3 pp, 216K)
- Current State Departments of Transportation (DOT) Success Stories (Case Studies) (PDF) (16 pp, 1.5MB)
- Catalogue of State DOT Compost Usuage Experience (50 State Summaries) (PDF) (29 pp, 325K)
- Compost Specification for Soil Incorporation (PDF) (16 pp, 969K)
- DOT In the Soil Compost Specifications Chart [Table 1] (PDF) (1 pg, 1.4MB)
- DOT On the Soil Compost Specifications Chart [Table 2] (PDF) (1 pg, 821K)
- All DOT Compost Specifications Chart [Table 3, page 1] (PDF) (1 pg, 1.5MB)
- All DOT Compost Specifications Chart [Table 3, page 2] (PDF) (1 pg, 829K)
- Bibliography (PDF) (1 pg, 15K)