Definition of Solid Waste for RCRA Subtitle C Hazardous Waste
Note: For information about the proposed rule that seeks to clarify which non-hazardous secondary materials are, or are not, solid wastes when burned in combustion units (e.g., scrap tires; used oil; coal combustion residuals), see the Identification of Non-Hazardous Materials That Are Solid Waste: Final Rule.
A solid waste is not necessarily a hazardous waste - See the Hazardous Waste Identification area for more information.
For information on the special regulations for hazardous wastes that are recycled, see the Hazardous Waste Recycling area.
2011 Proposed Rulemaking – EPA is requesting public input on proposed new safeguards for hazardous secondary materials recycling to protect public health and the environment.
State-by-State Map of DSW Regulations - A map illustrating which states have become authorized for the Definition of Solid Waste final rule.
Final Definition of Solid Waste (DSW) Rule - Information about the October 7, 2008 final rule that would streamline the regulation of hazardous secondary materials to encourage beneficial recycling and help conserve resources.
These definitions are crucial to understanding the regulation of hazardous waste under Subtitle C of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Before a material can be classified as a hazardous waste, it must first be a solid waste. The resources listed below and throughout this website are provided to help determine whether materials are solid wastes and therefore potentially subject to hazardous waste regulation. Users unfamiliar with the Definition of Solid Waste (DSW) regulations may wish to use the Definition of Solid Waste Tool below as an introduction.
The definition of solid waste is in Section 261.2 of the RCRA Regulations.
Definition of Solid Waste resources:
- DSW Tool - An interactive guide through the DSW regulations, with links to key resources, to help determine if a material is subject to RCRA hazardous waste regulations.
- DSW Compendium: A User-Friendly Reference Document - A collection of written materials addressing specific issues related to the federal definition of solid waste.
- DSW Rulemakings - Provides information on current and past rulemakings and links to Federal Register Notices specific to the definition of solid waste.
- DSW Resources - Provides links to other resources relating to the definition of solid waste, such the relevant Code of Federal Regulations language and RCRA Training Modules.
- DSW Implementation Support - A resource for facilities managing hazardous secondary materials under the 2008 Definition of Solid Waste final rule.