You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- DSW regulations — Section
261.2 provides the definition of solid waste for the purposes of hazardous
- The Definition
of Solid Waste Tool — An interactive guide through the DSW regulations,
with links to key resources, to help one determine if a material is subject to
RCRA hazardous waste regulations.
- RCRA Orientation Manual, Section III: Managing Hazardous Waste - RCRA Subtitle C, Chapter 1: Hazardous Waste Identification (PDF) (26 pp, 400)— The RCRA Orientation Manual contains introductory information on the solid and hazardous waste management programs under RCRA. The first part of this chapter discusses the definition of solid waste and exclusions from the definition of solid waste. The full manual can be accessed here.
- Definition of Solid Waste and Recycling (PPT) (32 pp, 1.2MB) — This slideshow from the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery provides an overview of the definition of solid waste and hazardous waste recycling regulations.
- Introduction to the Revisions to the Definition of Solid Waste Final Rule (PPT) (47 pp, 277K) - Provides an overview of the Revisions to the Definition of Solid Waste final rule, published October 30, 2008.
- RCRA Hotline Training modules:
- Definition of Solid Waste and Hazardous Waste Recycling (PDF) (23 pp, 69K) — Provides an overview of definition of solid waste and hazardous waste recycling regulation under RCRA.
- Solid and Hazardous Waste Exclusions (PDF) (29 pp, 87K) — Provides an overview of exclusions from the definition of solid waste and exclusions from the Definition of Hazardous Waste.
RCRA Training Modules for other topics are available here.
- Definition of Solid Waste Rulemakings — Provides information on key rulemaking activity specific to the definition of solid waste.
- DSW Compendium — A collection of written materials maintained by the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR)that addresses specific issues related to the federal definition of solid waste.
- DSW Inspector's Checklist (PDF) (52 pp, 473.17K) A series of checklists that assist regulatory authorities with monitoring compliance of the definition of solid waste regulations in 40 CFR 261.2 and the 2008 DSW exclusions in 40 CFR 261.4(a)(23), (24), and (25).
- RCRA Online — An electronic database that indexes thousands of letters, memoranda, publications, and questions and answers issued by the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR). These documents include EPA interpretations of the RCRA regulations governing the management of solid, hazardous, and medical waste. RCRA Online allows users to locate documents through topical, full text, and advanced search functions. RCRA Online also allows users to view the actual text of the documents identified in a search.
- RCRAInfo — A national program management and inventory system about hazardous waste handlers. This system can be used to determine identification and location data for specific hazardous waste handlers, and to find a wide range of information on treatment, storage, and disposal facilities regarding permit/closure status, compliance with Federal and State regulations, and cleanup activities.
- Reengineering RCRA Report For Recycling (PDF) (89 pp, 1.3MB) — This report presents the recommendations of the Definition of Solid Waste Task Force. The Task Force was established in October 1992 by the Director of the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery to address concerns about the current solid waste definition and how it affects waste recycling.
to Congress on Metal Recovery, Environmental Regulation and Hazardous Waste,
February 1994 (PDF) (210pp, 13MB) — This report from the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) was completed in response to Congressional requests for EPA to conduct a
study on the effects of existing regulations on metal recovery of the Nation's
wastes, how metal recovery can be encouraged and how these materials should be
regulated to protect human health and the environment and to implement RCRA's
goals of resource conservation and protection of human health and the
Manual on RCRA Regulation for Recycling Hazardous Waste (PDF) (318 pp, 13MB) — This manual from the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (ORCR) provides guidance for
State and Regional personnel who must apply the definition of solid waste and
for industrial facilities generating and managing solid and hazardous waste
that is recycled. Guidance is provided primarily in the form of examples
illustrating application of the definition of solid waste regulations to
actual recycling practices.
Note: This manual was published in 1986 and thus portions may have been superseded by more recent regulatory changes or policy memorandums. See the DSW Compendium for more information regarding specific topics.
- Chapter 1: Introduction (PDF) (38 pp, 1,6 MB)
- Chapter 2 - Part 1: Examples - Use Constituting Disposal (PDF) (28 pp, 1.2MB)
- Chapter 2 - Part 2: Examples - Energy Recovery (PDF) (18 pp, 767K)
- Chapter 2 - Part 3: Examples - Reclamation (PDF) (104 pp, 4.3MB)
- Chapter 2 - Part 4: Examples - Use/Reuse (PDF) (36 pp, 1.4MB)
- Chapter 2 - Part 5: Examples - Other (PDF) (56 pp, 2.2MB)
- Chapter 3: Examples Index (PDF) (38 pp, 1.0MB)
- Sector Notebooks — The Sector Notebook series from the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA) is a unique set of profiles containing information for specific industries and governments. Unlike other resource materials, which are organized by air, water and land pollutants, the Notebooks provide a holistic approach by integrating processes, applicable regulations and other relevant environment information.
- Region/State Environmental Web Sites — Provides links to EPA Regional and State environmental web sites.
- Hazardous Waste Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) — This page lists FAQs addressing topics related to hazardous waste.
- Submit a Question — If you can't find what you are looking for, use this page to submit a question to the EPA Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery.
For general resources on RCRA regulation, see RCRA Guidance, Policy, and Resources.