Revisions to OECD Imports and Exports Rule
Revisions to The Requirements for: Transboundary Shipments of Hazardous Wastes between OECD Member Countries, the Requirements for Export Shipments of Spent Lead-Acid Batteries, the Requirements for Submitting Exception Reports for Export Shipments of Hazardous Wastes, and the Requirements for Imports of Hazardous Wastes
The Environmental Protection Agency revised its regulations to ensure that shipping hazardous waste between countries for recovery is done in an environmentally sound manner. This final rule makes EPA's Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) hazardous waste transboundary shipment regulations more consistent with those of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
Specifically, this rule revises:
- the existing RCRA regulation regarding the transboundary movement of hazardous wastes for recovery among countries belonging to the OECD to conform to legally required revisions made by the OECD;
- the RCRA regulations for spent lead-acid batteries (SLABs) to add export notification and consent requirements;
- the hazardous waste import-related requirements for U.S. hazardous waste management facilities; and
- the address to which export exception reports are to be sent.
This rule is effective in all States on July 7, 2010.
- Federal Register | PDF Version (27 pp, 286K, about PDF) - January 8, 2010
- Press Release
- Frequent Questions
- Implementation Resources for Spent Lead-Acid Battery Exporters
- Attention Auto Battery Recyclers and Brokers (PDF) (1 pg, 78K, about PDF)
- Implementation Resources on Import Consent Documentation Requirements for Facilities Receiving Hazardous Waste Imports
The support materials for the proposed and final rule and the public comments EPA received on the proposed rule are available for public review online at Regulations.gov, as explained below.
To use Regulations.gov:
- Select Docket Search.
- Select "Environmental Protection Agency" from the Agency drop-down menu.
- In the Docket ID box, type in the docket number - EPA-HQ-RCRA-2005-0018 and press the "Submit" button to receive search results. Be patient; loading the documents takes time.
Draft Guidance on EPA Identification of U.S. Pre-Approved Facilities to Receive Hazardous Waste Imports from OECD Member Countries
Separate from the proposed rule, EPA published draft guidance (PDF) (4 pp, 30K, about PDF)on October 6, 2008, that described how U.S. recycling facilities might request EPA to identify them as pre-approved facilities to receive hazardous wastes from OECD Member countries. Pre-approved facilities would follow streamlined procedures for hazardous waste imports from OECD countries. EPA sought comment on the draft guidance, but received no comments on it. Given the lack of comments demonstrating support or even the need for this process, EPA is not finalizing the guidance at this time. If you wish to express support for EPA establishing such a pre-approval process, or wish to submit comments or concerns about the draft guidance, please send your comments to Laura Coughlan by one of the following methods:
- Email comments to Laura Coughlan (Coughlan.Laura@epa.gov)
- Fax comments to 703-308-0514
- Mail comments to Environmental Protection Agency, Mail Code: 5403P, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC, 20460
- Hand deliver comments to Environmental Protection Agency, N-5613 (5th Floor), Two Potomac Yard, 2733 South Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202